Friday, May 18, 2007

What I Miss

I haven't given most of these items up permanently, but am not enjoying them as frequently, or in the same quantities as previously. So in no particular order...
  1. Popcorn. Anyone who knows me knows that I love my 'corn. Absolutely love it. But, too many carbs to eat it the way I used to.
  2. Wine. I haven't figured out yet the impact of wine now that I'm using insulin. So for now I generally play it safe and only have one glass. So my strategy is to have one really really yummy glass. I guess I've become a bit of a wine snob over the years. I can't stand the house wine they serve at places like Olive Garden anymore! Guess this is a good excuse to only buy the best!
  3. Pasta. Oh man. I'm drooling just thinking about it. Two favorites are the tortellini alfredo served at Casa Carbone (Raleigh, NC) and the raviolini served at Pastaria 811 (Pawleys Island, SC).
  4. Sugar in my tea. I'm doing that fake-sugar thing instead. But I really miss having the real thing. And I would use a LOT! I tried stevia (recommended by my ultra-crunchy sister....but too much aftertaste); and splenda (pretty good). But my BG seems to rise after using Splenda...have since discovered it's probably the bulking agent used in Splenda and other powdered sweeteners. So now I'm using Equal tablets. It's OK....but it ain't no shugah, dahlin'.
  5. Skipping meals. Just can't do it. Or at least I can't figure out yet how to do it with my current insulin regimen. I used to skip breakfast. And lunch.
  6. Gran Marnier. I love Gran Marnier. Love it. Love it. Love it. It has lots of carbs (about 35 for 5 ounces, which is a full meal worth of carbs on my current WOE). It's alcohol, so it lowers the ol' BG. Haven't yet figured out how to work it in with the insulin regiment. I usually like it late at night before bed.

1 comment:

anonlurkermom said...

hi.
recheck your carb count on popcorn. my t1 dd lives on the micro stuff for snacks. my count permits large volume for low carbs. as far as pasta goes, check out dreamfields pasta for a low carb version that's not whole wheat brown and is delicious. my kids prefer it to "regular" pastas now.
good luck.