Friday, May 18, 2007

One-Armed Diabetic

Anyone who's ever broken a finger, sprained a wrist, hurt a hand....you know what it's like trying to button a shirt or zip up your pants. Hard, ain't it? Ever tried to test your blood sugar with only one hand? How about giving yourself an insulin shot? Now THERE'S a challenge!

I fell down a flight of steps on Monday. For those of you who know me, this is actually just another in a series of life-long klutz moves on my part. My husband now refers to me as CJ....for Calamity Jane. [Actually, not a bad nickname, since Jane apparently liked to dress, drink and cuss like a man.]

Anyway, it was a nice-sized flight of stairs...about 12-15 steps. And I hit them all on the way to the bottom. Nothing broken, though I did have to get xrays to confirm...it hurt that bad! Some very impressive contusions and bruises. I feel like I was in a car accident.

My left shoulder got slammed into the ground and I broke my fall (at the bottom, finally) with my left hand. So that particular appendage has been of little use this week! I have amused myself with my efforts to do all the 'betes stuff with just one hand. Get pills out of a bottle. Screw a needle on the insulin injection pen. Lance my finger and squeeze the blood onto the meter test strip. Even just unzipping my little meter case was practically impossible!

Luckily, my two-armed husband and our two-armed daughter have both been up to the task, so it's mostly just been (slightly) painful, (slightly) embarassing, and (mostly) amusing.

No comments: