Sunday, May 13, 2007

How Low Can I Go?

I've been on basal insulin for about 2 weeks, and bolus insulin for about 1 week. As of this evening, I've had about 48 continuous hours of BG that were not "high." {Lots of interesting debates out there about what is considered in range.} I think my high during this time period has been 114.

So there's gotta be a catch, right? Of course! It's those hypos! I've experienced my first official "low" readings, and all the fun symptoms that come with it. And not just once! No, I had three such lows yesterday, and a couple today. I hit 54 a couple of hours ago...didn't feel too awful bad, but it was still a bit troubling since I was in the grocery store with my 10 year old daughter. Really makes me think twice about testing before driving.

I also woke up in the middle of the night with a low...now THAT was freaky. The shakes, sweating, clammy, etc. I was just glad that I woke up.

So, I'm actually thrilled that my numbers overall are down. I just need to get my carbs and insulin adjusted. I'm trying the low-carb approach and am pleased that I obviously need less insulin with fewer carbs.

In the meantime, those glucose tablets are now everywhere!

No comments: