Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Liraglutide - Clinical Trial

I recently participated in a Phase III Clinical Trial for Liraglutide, which is a product of Novo Nordisk. This is a "sister" drug to Byetta, the difference being that Liraglutide is long-acting and only requires one daily injection.

My participation began last October, and the trial was scheduled to conclude in August. However, I dropped out a few weeks ago (more on that in a moment). I am assuming that I received the trial drug (and not the placebo) because I experienced the reported side effects of Liraglutide. [But who knows...the mind is a powerful thing!] I then experienced additional side effects which ultimately led me to discontinue my participation. I just couldn't take it anymore!

I should clarify that the trial was for Type 2 patients, and I recently was re-diagnosed as Type 1.5. So no wonder the trial drug wasn't doing anything for me! So please don't take this post as any particular endorsement or criticism of Liraglutide. Hopefully it will indeed be very effective and on the market in the next year or so.

Being part of a clinical trial was very interesting. I got quite the full health screening. They drew nine vials of blood at the beginning and end of my participation, and a few times in between, so I had just about every lab recommended for diabetes patients. I had a monthly A1C, which was nice information as well. At every visit (which varied between bi-weekly and monthly), my blood pressure was taken not once, but three times. And during blood pressure readings, I had to sit with my legs un-crossed and rest. I found this interesting because this kind of care has not always been taken in other settings when I've had my blood pressure taken. They also measured my waist and hips at each visit (and again, not once...but three times).

Big positive- everything was free. All my appointments with the doctors and trial coordinator, all my lab work, all the medication...all of it was free. I also got to keep the meter and supplies that were provided, and a few little gifts as well (a gym bag and a portable clock).

Big bonus - I got paid! I quit the study early, so I only made the $275 of the $300 I was suppose to get, but that's still a nice check!

Liraglutide is an injectible drug. I thought that I might someday need insulin, so this clinical trial was also an opportunity to learn all about injections. Turns out the finger stick is much worse! And, since my re-diagnosis, I've started on insulin...so at least that was one skill I had mastered.

One negative to report. The oral meds which were part of this study (metformin and Avandia) came in cardboard blister packs. I got sores on my fingers from punching out each and every pill!

Overal, this was an enlightening experience.

1 comment:

Da Man Lovett said...

Wow, you have been through so much, but I'm extremely glad that you know the right type! Now lets see you get better! You are still the Hottest Leslie Dare I know!!! And Congrats on being the Winner . . .I mean the recipient!