Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sharps

I finally have generated enough used needles to force the issue on how to best dispose of them. A little research revealed that the State of North Carolina doesn't not require any special processing. Aside from the recommendation of putting them into a hard-walled container, household sharps can be discarded with household waste. There don't appear to be any county restrictions either.

So off I went to dump them from the special red container into something bigger (since I want to keep using the red container in my kitchen). I decided on a detergent bottle that was just about done. After starting one more load of laundry with the remaining liquid, I started the dump process.

The opening has one of those built-in spouts...not very big. So now I'm having to craft a funnel type contraption. A mailer-postcard-thingy in the recycling bin finally did the trick. A quick notation with the permanent marker that it is sharps (and no longer detergent...I hope that the rattle is a clue to the family and they aren't relying on the label!) and mission accomplished. I think.

No comments: