Monday, May 14, 2007

D-Geek

Yes, having diabetes totally sucks.

But.....

Oh, the accessories! The gadgets! The books! The blogs! I'm in geek heaven!

I have two meters....and I want a third!

I'm on my second MedicAlert bracelet...and just ordered the watch!

I have experimented with about 5 brands of d-software...and just purchased yet another package!

I already own 12 d-books...and just ordered two more!

I have to admit that I get my geek-fix totally on with diabetes. I've been spending money like crazy since my Dx, and it doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon. I am into the tech stuff, so I've enjoyed researching all the various meters that will upload to a computer, and the software that goes with them. I've been playing with a couple of programs for my PDA (Palm Treo) as well.

Macs and D-Software

I am a multi-platform user on the job, but prefer/use Mac at home. I usually scoff when colleagues or friends say that they "hear that you can't get the same stuff for a Mac that you can for a PC"......because that just mostly isn't true any more. But....that is very true regarding diabetes related software. The LifeScan website addresses that issue as follows:

"Is OneTouch Diabetes Management Software compatible with a Macintosh® Computer?

No. The software is designed to work with an IBM-compatible computer with a Pentium II processor (or greater). There are no plans to launch a Macintosh version of the software."

For some reason, this kinda ticks me off...it's almost obnoxious in its tone. However, you can get the LifeScan UltraSmart to work with a Mac using other software. To be more accurate, I was able to use The Body Journal v1 and it uploaded from my UltraSmart meter just fine...for a while. I upgraded to v1.5 and the driver no longer worked. For the record, multiple email requests to the support address went unanswered.

I have since purchased Health Engage Diabetes v3.9.2, and have spent considerable time trying to get my meter to upload, but with no success. I like the software well enough otherwise to just manually enter my BG readings, but I'd really love to upload. I think it is a driver issue. I hope to get some assistance soon in getting this resolved.


No comments: