Monday, May 21, 2007

Diabetes Shorthand

As I type these posts, I realize I've picked up some of the shorthand I've seen in others' blogs. I'm getting ready to point my parents and some other non-d folks to my blog, and I'm thinking now that they might need some help in interpreting some of this lingo. I'm sure this isn't complete, but it should help.
  • A1C - (also HbA1c) Hemoglobin A1C
  • ADA - American Diabetes Association
  • BG - Blood Glucose (also BS for Blood Sugar; also FBG for Fasting Blood Glucose)
  • CDE - Certified Diabetes Educator
  • CHO - Carbohydrate
  • CGMS - Continuous Glucose Monitoring System
  • D-books (also D-software, D-blogger, D-supplies, etc.) - D = Diabetes
  • DM - Diabetes Mellitus
  • DoD - Date of Diagnosis
  • Dx - Diagnosis
  • End0 - Endocrinologist
  • GI - Glycemic Index
  • Hypo - Hypoglycemic; low blood sugar (also "going low")
  • Hyper - Hyperglycemic; high blood sugart
  • LADA - Latent Autoimmune Diabetes Adult (also Type 1.5)
  • MDI - Multiple Daily Injections (of insulin)
  • PCP - Primary Care Physician (also GP for General Practitioner)
  • T1 - Type 1
  • T2 - Type 2
  • TTD - Total Daily Dose (of insulin - basal and bolus combined)
  • PWD - Person with Diabetes
  • U - Units (standard unit of measure for insulin)
  • WOE - Way of Eating - euphemism for "diet" (also WOL for Way of Living)

No comments: