Thursday, June 28, 2007

C-Peptide Results

I recently was a participant in a clinical drug trial.

At the end of my participation, they conducted one last round of labs (9 vials of blood - eek!). Today I received my check for participating ($300 - woo hoo! enough to keep me in glucose tabs for a while) and the final lab results.

My C-Peptide was .9 and the "reference range" was 1.1 - 5.0.

So I guess that means I'm still producing some insulin but I'm below the low end of the range. I'm really curious how these numbers translate. Do I have 50% production? More? Less?

Also, I've read elsewhere that the "reference range" can vary from one person to the next and must take into account age, gender and so on. I assume that the reference range in my results do so.

All in all, it's just one more number in the big picture, but I am curious about it.

1 comment:

BetterCell said...

Hello Les, even-though you do not have me added to your D-Blog, I will give you some feedback regarding C-peptide.
Having had T1DM for many years(since the age of 6)and having been my own "best Doctor" I will say that C-peptide has a huge Bibliography available as research material. It is as you probably now know used as a Bio-marker for insulin availability within the body.
However it was found to have much better use, especially for those with Diabetes in the possible prevention of the severity of Complications associated with having Diabetes. It has also been shown to ameliorate and possibly heal some of the damages also associated w/Complication found in Diabetes.
I am sure that you have been told by many Physicians that the 'way to prevent Complications is to have normglycemic values and good A1C's. However that is only a half truth.
T1DM(Type 1-Diabetes Mellitus) is a Disease that is more than about having the right numbers. It is also a Micro/Macro Vascular Disease that has the potential to affect your Nervous System as well as Internal Organs.Yes, having high blood sugars can bring this on as well, but and this is not often told to the patient, the Logevity of the Disease in spite of having "good blood sugar numbers" can cause these Complications to develop.
Since T1DM is an Auto-Immune Disease, that does not rule out the possibility of your Immune System going after other organs as well.
Sorry to give you such a bleak picture, but I feel that it is more important for you to be aware of all these things than some political correctness fantasies regarding T1DM.
You can STILL do things however, to prevent or minimize Complications. What I discussed earlier referred more to the nature and potential actions of this Disease.