Friday, June 8, 2007

Maybe a Pump

When I first started taking insulin, and then surfing d-blogs, all I seemed to read about were pumps. I don't know what percentage of insulin users actually use a pump, but it seemed like everyone at first! And I certainly had no interest at that point. Trying to figure everything out these last six weeks has been crazy. The thought of adding a pump to the equation was just out of the question.

But I have since changed my mind, for a number of reasons. Just in the last week I've gone from "Pump? No way" to "I think there's a pump in my future...maybe" to "How soon can I get one?" Here is what has swayed me.

1. I have a very close friend whose husband just started on a pump, and hearing all the details has taken some of the mystery out of it.

2. Inserting an infusion set once every couple of days seems less annoying than 5-7 separate injections per day.

3. I'm fairly sensitive to insulin, and I think that measuring by half-units or less would really be helpful (currently, I use a Novo flex pen for both basal and bolus, and it only dispenses in whole units).

4. The learning curve on "me on insulin" is huge...why not just roll it in with learning to pump?

5. These Groovy Patches look like fun.

I have an appointment with the pump trainer at my clinic near the end of the month, and I suppose she'll decide if a pump is for me, and we'll go from there.

1 comment:

Allison said...

That's exciting! Congrats on making the leap forward. If you ever have any questions about the pump, just holler. I've been on the Minimed insulin pump for almost seven years.

Cheers,
Allison
Lemonade Life