Thursday, June 28, 2007

Insulin-o-phobia

That is my really special personal term for being afraid of taking big doses of insulin.

I am not afraid of needles or injecting myself.

I am afraid of taking so much insulin that I have a hypoglycemic episode. So maybe I should really be calling it "Hypoglycemia-o-phobia" instead.

I am sensitive to insulin, and still produce some of my own. My TDD is about 50 units. My meal bolus is typically around 4-6 units. But there have been instances where I'm going to eat a really big meal, and/or I am really high (like, say 347!) and so I need more insulin. So when I do the math and the calculator on my Palm Treo suggest that I inject 12 units, it freaks me out! The thought of injecting that much insulin scares me to death! Going low! Overcorrecting! Overcorrecting again! Going low again! Argh!

Yet I know 12 units ain't nothin' to many people. And that is likely going to be the case for me eventually as well. I need to just suck it up.

No comments: