Friday, June 1, 2007

Metformin

I have been taking metformin since my original Dx early in 2006. Actually, I started on Glucophage then switched to the generic when I began participation in a drug trial.

I started at 500 MG per day and finally saw a drop in my BG numbers when I reached 1,000 MG. This was the only medication I was taking at the time.

That dosage was upped for the drug trial, and I've been at 2,000 MG per day for almost 10 months. The additional 1,000 MG per day made no difference.

The problem?

The lower gastro-intestinal distress problem (code for "diarrhea"). Ugh. I've always had this problem (mild, but annoying) since hitting the 2,000 MG level.

So I finally decided to take a break, and I stopped the Metformin for about a week. The mild but annoying problem cleared right up. But my BG has been high. I need to resume the meds, but I have read that metformin for T1 is not a good idea. But it is what my Endo has kept me on even after my new T1 DX. Maybe I should request to back off the dosage since the extra 1,000 MG doesn't seem to make much difference.

1 comment:

..M.. said...

I'm in the same boat - a T1 (well, LADA / 1.5 to be precise) on Metformin as well as insulin. I've lowered my dose, and every now & then I totally give up on it... but then I miss how it (maybe) helps my appetite and gives me slightly smoother BGs!

Talk to your Endo / doc about it, hopefully they'll be happy with you decreasing your dosage - it's no big deal if you do, you have insulin to save the day now :) You'll probably have to take a little more insulin (for me it's a basal increase of about 10%, no noticeable increase needed for bolus).

Metformin's effect on the body can be horrible can't it!